Sunday, February 26, 2012

Field Guide - Week 2 - Get Inky and Stamp

May Flaum challenged us this week to use our stamps, different kinds of ink, and something we haven't used in a long time - or at all.  I was having so much fun, I created 2 cards this week.


First, I decided to use a Tim Holtz technique I have always loved, with a stamp I haven't used in years, Penny Black Tiger Lily.  This technique works best with bolder images, rather than fine lines.  I used Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Black Soot, and Olive distress inks.  I tapped them randomly on the stamp.  Then I spritzed the stamp with water to blend the colors and stamped onto my paper.  It creates a beautifully blended look, along with a sort of watercolor look.  I over stamped the image with a text stamp from Stamp in the Hand.  Then to get a little shimmer, like we learned last week - I spritzed the whole thing with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist.

Second card - I practiced the technique that our guest artist shared - resist stamping with an embossed image.  I used another Penny Black stamp that had been long neglected - Fresh Fields.  Stamped and embossed with clear embossing powder.  I then worked with Distress Stains in Spiced Marmalade and Wild Honey over the top.  These are going to take some getting used to.  They all seem to come out the bottle a little differently.  After many tries - this is what I ended up with.  Definitely a light hand, and less is more approach works best.  I randomly stamped a couple of my other favorite Stampa Rosa and Hero Art stamps over the top.

All in all - I had a very fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts